Monday, April 20, 2009

A Veritable Art Gallery

Inspired by the lessons in practicality that I receive on a regular basis from my good friend and fellow Montessorian, Jennifer, I have decided to instill our own museum of paintings in our halls. The idea is to take classic works of art (in this case, all paintings) and display them at levels that may be observed and studied by the child. I'm not sure yet as to how and where I'm going to place them yet, but have just finished cutting out 20 different pictures of paintings that I got from a book called The Story of Painting. I picked it up for 0.75 at the library book sale yesterday and its my latest TREASURE. I harvested the pictures I want for our collection and am passing it on to Jennifer so she can add to hers.

I have paintings from da Vinci, Michaelangelo, and Raphael; to Van Gogh, Degas, and Manet; to Miro, Matisse, and Modigliani. How's that for timelining it, Auntie Jo? My sister, who is an art appreciation afficianado, will love what we are setting up for the kids. Most of these are works that anyone who has even a slight interest in art will recognize (Mona Lisa, Road with Cypresses, Still Life with Fruit), but there are a good number that will hopefully invoke some discussion as well. When asked, "What do you see in The Harlequin's Carnival, Mcclellan," I'm curious as to what he will say! I was impressed that when he was shown Madonna and Child Enthroned, he identified the Baby Jesus upon Mary's lap. I mean, its all Byzantine and Middle Age-y, but that kid knows who is who! I can't wait to get these laminated (possibly framed if I can find enough that will fit from the thrift stores) and set them out!