Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Anti-art and Sniffing

I've come to the saddening, undeniable conclusion that my son just does not. like. to. paint. Ever since he was a baby, finger painting, he's not been enthused about the messiness, the gooeyness that is painting. He would just give me a look that said, "This stuff just does not belong on my hands, Mom." The same holds true today. He seems to love to get messy just so he can go wash up. Crazy kid. We painted our cans for our chimes and he was not a fan. We'll see how the actual assembly goes later this afternoon.

On a positive note, he did love the playdough (and always has) he was left to while I prepped his sniffing jars. Maybe a sculptor?

Our sniffing jars are a hit! I used cleaned-out sprinkle jars with the little shaker caps on them, and filled each jar with a cotton ball doused in something smelly.
Butter, wine, coffee, mint, vanilla, and smoke (each from a flavoring or the direct source). My favorite is when he grabs the butter scent, smells, and says, "Kropsu!" Kropsu does have a considerable amount of butter in it...
His little toddler fingers are having fun with the screw-off lids too. Success!